Testicular cancer that mostly occurs in young or middle-aged men, forms in tissues of one or both testicles
Some commonly known causes that makes an individual more susceptible to kidney cancer.
- Undescended testicle/ cryptorchidism: When at birth, the testicle does not move down to pass into the scrotum, in such males the risk is the highest.
- Congenital inborn abnormalities of the testicles, penis, or kidneys, as well as those with hernia groin area.
- Hereditary, yes, genes can pass down testicular cancer.
- Previous occurance of testicular cancer.
When to approach your doctor?:
- Enlargement/ inflammation/ discomfort in a testicle.
- Pain/ discomfort in a testicle/ scrotum
- Heavy scrotum.
- Slightly aching groin, lower abdomen, or back.
- Fluid accumulation in the scrotum.
Testicular Cancer Types:
1) Seminomas: Respond to radiotherapy, spread gradually. Spermatocytic, Anaplastic, Classic.
2)Nonseminomas: Nonresponsive to radiation, spread quickly. Yolk sac tumors, Teratoma, Embryonal carcinoma, Choriocarcinoma,.
Testicular Cancer Diagnosis:
- Blood test.
Stages & Treatment:
- Stage I: Cancer cells limited to lining testicles.
- Stage I: Cancer cells grown beyond the testicles (metasized).
Surgery (orchiectomy) removal of affected testicle.
Post surgery: Surveillance, chemotherapy.
Seminomas: Radiation therapy.
Nonseminomas: Surgical removal of lymph nodes.
- Stage II: Cancer cells begin to spread from the lining to the muscular walls of the bladder.
- Stage III: Tumor has spread to any one of the following:
A nearby lymph node.
Nearby organs prostate, uterus, vagina causing abnormal kidney & bowel functions.
- Stage IV: Cancer cells have spread out to other organs in the body like liver, lungs, bones.
Sometimes even after curative treatment cancers do reoccur in the kidney or any other part of the body.
Testicular Cancer Treatment:
Surgery (orchiectomy), removal of lymph nodes.
- Seminomas: Radiation, chemotherapy, or combined therapy.
- Nonseminomas: Chemotherapy, or combined therapy.
- Removal of affected tissue masses through surgery, if possible.
At all above stages, treatments are finalized taking into consideration the overall health, severity, age and other ailments of the patient.
- Acupunture, nutritional & mind-body healing,etc.
- Regular follow-up with your is utmost important post-treatment.