Prostate enlargement is also known as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), mostly seen in men above 60 years of age,is an non-malignant enlargement of the prostate gland, thus compressing urethra resulting in improper/ obstructive flow of urine causing retention of urine in the bladder. This condition is prevalent in men over the age of 60 years.
Risks involved are urinary tract infections, total blockage of the urethra and damage to kidney function.
- Growing age.
- Abnormalities in the hormones like testosterone, estrogen, DHT ie dihydrotstosterone.
- Obstructive urination.
- Inability to relieve urine.
- Frequent urination.
- Constant ache/ stiffness in lower back, hips, thighs.
- Blood in urine/ semen.
- Painful ejaculation/ troublesome erection.
- Painful/ burning during urination.
- Dribbling urine.
- Leaky bladder.
- Recurrent infections.
- Kidney damage.
- Digital rectal exam.
- Blood/ Urine tests.
- Urine flow analysis.
- Ultrasound scan.
- Prostrate biopsy.
- Scrotal ultrasound- Doppler mode.
Cause based treatment:
- Alpha blockers: Relax the prostrate muscles and remove urinary obstruction.
- 5-alpha reductase inhibitors: Disrupt testosterone.
- Transurethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP): Removal of enlarged inner prostrate.
- Transurethral needle abrasion (TUNA).
- Laser procedures: Remove obstructive prostrate tissue.
- Stenting therapy.
- Microwave therapy: Microwave energy for elimination of cells and shrink prostrate back to closer to normal size.
- Athletic supporter for pressure relief.
- Healthy diet and lifestyle.
- Avoid alcohol/ caffeine/ smoking.
- Avoid before bedtime fluids.
- Double voiding the bladder at a single visit.
- Relaxation therapy.
- Regular exercise.
- Drink liquids in small amounts not large amounts at once.
- Don’t resist the urge to urinate.
- Avoid decongestants.
- Avoid antihistamines.
- Regular check-up and tests.
- Prevention & rrecaution is better than cure.
All above, treatments are finalized taking into consideration the overall health, severity, age and other ailments of the patient.
Dr Prabhudev M Salanki provides best surgery for Prostate enlargement