Micropenis is a condition that rarely occurs when the male embryo penis develops abnormally after the first trimester . At birth, a micropenis is half the stretched size of a normal penis.typically ie only upto 0.75 inches long when stretched.
Causes of Micropenis:
- Reduced supply of prenatal androgen .
- Dysgenesis of the testes.
- Congenital growth-hormone deficiency ( hypopituitarism).
- Low pituitary stimulation.
- Dihydrotestosterone synthesis.
- Congenital hypogonadism.
- Rare side effect of certain medications.
- Side effect of high estrogen fertility drugs. Eg: diethylstilbestrol (DES).
Erectile penis size not more than 2.75 inches ie 7 cms ( normal erection size 5 inches ie 12.5 cms).
- Physical examination.
- Erection analysis.
- Penis measurement (SPL).
- Testosterone treatment preferred for hypogonadism induced micropenis.
- Phalloplasty for penis enlargement.
- Severe: ie almost no shaft/ glands.
- Sex reassignment surgery: Testes removal & artificial vagina construction.
Side Effects Of Surgery:
- Lack of self esteem.
- Low Confidence.
- Psychological issues.
- Psychological counseling.
- Relationship counseling.
- Puberty counseling.
All above, treatments are finalized taking into consideration the overall health, severity, age and other ailments of the patient.