Testosterone is the most important hormone of the male body. It contributes largely to the normal growth of the male reproductive organs and the male genetalia. It is responsible to fuel sex drives, mood changes and bone strength. It plays an important role even since before birth of the male embryo.
Causes Of Low Testosterone :
- Male menopause.
- Injury to testicles.
- Type 2 diabetes.
- Pituitary gland disorders.
- Liver/ Kidney disease.
- Side effect of steroids.
- Side effect of radiation/ chemotherapy.
Low Testosterone Symptoms :
- Hot flashes.
- Lac of sexual interest.
- Thinning of muscles.
- Body hair loss.
- Breats enlargement.
- Soft/ small testicles.
- Improper erection.
- Depression/ anxiety.
- Lack of concentration.
- Low energy levels.
- Low sperm count, hence fertility issues.
Low Testosterone Diagnosis :
- Blood test (normal range 300-1000 ng/DL.
- Physical examination.
- Erection analysis.
- PSA test.
- Hematocrit – red blood cell count.
Treatment For Low Testosterone :
- A combination of the following:
- Supplemental testosterone:
- Shots, patches under the skin, gels.
- 12- hour gum tablets.
Effects Of Surgery :
- Patches/ gels can induce Itching/ irritation/ blisters.
- Gum tablets cause irritation/ bitterness/ headaches/ tender gums.
- BPH- Benign prostrate hyperplasia.
- Sleep apnea.
- Enlarged prostrate.
- Over production of red blood cells.
- Prostrate cancer in men above 40.
- Possible heart diseases.
Keep away from children/ ladies the patches/ gels.
Alternative Therapies :
- Psychological counseling.
- Healthy lifestyle and diet.
All above, treatments are finalized taking into consideration the overall health, severity, age and other ailments of the patient.
Dr Salanki’s Center for urology provides best treatment for low testosterone in Bangalore,India.